Sunday, April 3, 2016

The First Romance Novel I Actually Liked

I've never enjoyed romance novels.  I've always been critical of Nicholas Sparks and EL James.  I've always thought romance novels were boring and cringe-worthy.  But then I read Jojo Moyes Me Before You.

Many of my friends were reading Moyes's New York Times bestseller, and I wanted to get into the action.  I assumed it would be the same old cheesy screenplay BS.  But it wasn't.  Me Before You actually proved that I have emotions--it made me laugh and cry, of course, but it also completely changed my view on romance books.

Louisa Clark and Will Traynor's relationship was so incompatible that I thought several times, "This is going to end terribly."  The novel asks one poignant question: What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart?  Their tale of heartbreak reminded me so much of real relationships that it didn't even feel like I was reading a book--let alone a romantic one.  I loved every second of it.

Even if you're not a fan of romance, I highly recommend picking up Me Before You.  It was truly an incredible read, and I can't wait to see the movie adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment