Sunday, April 24, 2016

I Love Essays

It's official: I'm a Hanoverian!!

Yesterday, I had my freshman orientation at Hanover College.  With my class schedule and summer reading locked and loaded, I'm more than ready to graduate high school.

Before our August experience this fall, however, all first years are required to read This I Belive II: a collection of personal essays from people like Yo-yo Ma to Tony Hawk to midwest farmers.  The essays collectively describe what each person believes in, and how those beliefs helped shape them into the successful people they are today.  It's a super interesting read and is truly inspiring.

But as I cracked open this book, I realized how much I love books like this.  I recently read Yes Please by Amy Poehler and Bossypants by Tina Fey--two of my most adored women ever.  Both of their books center around hysterical essays about a huge range of topics.  Their essays are short and sweet, but they linger in your head for a while.

Books written as essays are seriously so cool because the essay format alone is appealing--the author gets to their point quickly, discusses their point briefly but effectively, and closes out on a (usually) positive note.  You can read one of the essays in about 10 minutes tops.  And these essays stay with you--they teach you about life, love, and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment