Sunday, March 6, 2016

Twilight Deserves More Credit


I've been obsessed with Twilight since the fifth grade. I know it's embarrassing (and it's an era of my life that I will never be proud of), but before you start to make fun of Twilight, I've got to say--it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

For a few years now, I've been doing plays at my community theatre. My good friend Craig (who did Steel Magnolias with me) and I found ourselves with lots of downtime between lighting and sound cues to talk about our favorite literary encapsulations.

Every night, I brought a copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with me to rehearsal. Craig asked if I was a Twilight fan in addition to Harry Potter. I instinctively scoffed, of course, never admitting to my awkward middle school stage where I really believed that a vampire would sweep me off my feet and fight a werewolf for my love. However, he told me that I should reread the series because the books aren't actually as bad as the movies and media portray them.

So I decided to read Twilight again. I thought back to how much I'd adored it in fifth grade and I figured it couldn't be that bad--and in all actuality, it wasn't. Sure, there was a lot of ill-relaxed syntax and maybe too much of a focus on the love triangle, but it is a young adult paranormal romance book. I knew what I was getting myself into.

Compared to the eternal list of flaws in the movie adaptations, the actual novels themselves are pretty good. Twilight is definitely not groundbreaking or even thought-provoking, but at least it has a good storyline and interesting characters. It's a good book to lose yourself in--even if it won't change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment