Monday, November 9, 2015

Reading and Writing: Important Aspects of Your Morning Routine

As a senior in high school, I'm looking forward to spending my next few years away at college.  However, if anything, this year has taught me how to be self-sufficient.  In college, I won't have parents to nag me about getting homework done or cleaning up after myself.  I have to learn how to do those things on my own.  This year, especially, I've focused on getting myself awake and ready to face the day, even during the wee hours of the morning.  So I created a morning routine that's designed to motivate me to get out of bed and ready for my early classes.  Here's what I do.

  • Mediation
I spend the first 10-15 minutes of the morning quietly meditating so that I can cast out all anxiety.  I know it makes me sound like a spiritualistic hippy or something, but trust me, meditation works.  Personally, I like to use the Stop, Breathe, & Think app.  You select how you're feeling at the present moment and the app suggests different meditations to try and center yourself.
  • Goals
Next, I write down what I wish to accomplish during the day.  Whether it be small tasks like getting to school early or larger ones like finishing a paper, writing down what I want to get done makes me feel even better when I can cross each one off.
  • Exercise
I usually hate exercise, but this is one of the few things that gets me motivated for the day.  I use the Sworkit app for 10-15 minutes each morning.  The workouts are in 30-second intervals, so the time flies by and makes your morning speed along.
  • Reading
This is the most important aspect of my mornings.  I pick out a great, interesting book or article to read for 10-20 minutes over a cup of coffee.  It's critical that you pick out something you're interested in, or the reading will send you right back to Snooze Town.  If you can't think of a book, look up an article on NPR or even BuzzFeed.  Getting your mind flowing early in the morning will make your school work seem less dull.
  • Writing
Right after I change out of my jammies and into my regular clothes, I crack open my journal and write some stuff down.  It doesn't have to be world-changing ideas, just whatever's on my mind.  If I can't think of anything to write, I have another journal with 300 writing prompts.  Again, it's critical to get your brain used to working in the morning, or school is just going to be even more miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment